Thursday, July 31, 2008

Don't Give A Damn

It's how I feel now when I explore my thoughts/ideas that are quirky, like me. There was a time when I would reject such ideas. They weren't mainstream. I felt that they were (sometimes) vulgar, and it mattered to me 100% what people thought about me. I so wanted to belong. I killed my individuality. That angel in the room got a lot of millage out of this.

Now that I don't fear approach or that someone labels me odd for having offbeat thoughts I feel free to explore my mind. Go to the corners I felt embarrassed to visit. Pull out the ideas that stand out in my mind as worth doing. perverting any idea I may have used in the past that's not working for me. I need to have my works produced and published. If people get pissed or offended. Fine. part of writing is rejection. part of me doesn't want to know fame, but notoriety.

One day my quirky stories will become mainstream. It will be time to pass the torch.

Don't get me wrong. Not all I write will be fit for print/production, but to get to the good ideas, I have to love me, and not allow outside sources to shape my thoughts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the opposite problem. I worry that my ideas are too mundane, that there isn't enough of the weirdness that I so love in other authors' writings.

Unknown said...

Brenda,

Your stories/ideas are far from mundane. I really think you've got the goods.