Sunday, March 01, 2009

Filthy: Whatever It Takes II

OK, I joked about making a story I wrote in class, filthy (my words were "make the Maquis De Sade blush") if the fourth draft wasn't approved by my professor.  Needless to say he's been asking "how are things different from any other story."  Well, after several attempts at rewriting and feeling he may not approve, I am thinking, "let me show you *how* different."  Yes I'm taking a bratty approach as to how different I can make this story, but that might be what it takes to keep my "A" average.   This brought back memories.

I've shown short stories to many people, and they were a joy to write, however, many people *didn't* want to read them.  I could tell from the lackluster or nonexistent responses. It wasn't until I placed a profanity-laced story in front of people did I get a reaction/response from them.  I'm fascinated now.  Is that what it takes to get a reaction from readers: being naughty?

Naughty I can do quite easily.  I can come up with ALL sorts of provocative ideas.  I can break free of the conventions.  I begin to think that's what my prof wants.  Something lurid, filthy, and provocative.   Should I open Pandora's box, so to speak, or should I leave well enough alone?  

Whatever it takes.       

No comments: