Sunday, January 10, 2010

Get The Ball Rolling

Not sure where the phrase comes from.   I do know it means that I should initiate my actions/desires.  That's what I am here to talk about.  I said I wanted to be a writer.  I said I like fiction and nonfiction.  I ask myself what am I doing to get the ball rolling on this topic. 

Writing produces anxiety and fear in me, as well as excitement.   Mind you, I love writing.  I love connecting the words, and I love revising.  I am scared of both success and failure.  Writing is a career that you will get your heart broken several times, and it will never stop. 

To write means to give up being timid, or afraid of what may become of one's craft.   I procrastinate, I work on other projects.  I refuse to write sometimes, except when my back is to the wall and I am forced.   That is not being proactive, squandering time and talents. 

Here's what I know:  I've been wanting to write since I was three and my brother came home and showed me what writing is.  I've stumbled a lot, but i kept on writing.  I've been rejected so many times, and I never stopped writing.  

If I'm going to write, I'm going to have to accept my own fears, weaknesses and strengths.  I've got to be willing to be naked in front of a crowd of people and be revealed.  I cannot allow myself to be intimidated by others' judgments of me.   I cannot be afraid of my own will and voice. 

If I am to succeed at anything, I must accept that I am not perfect.  I must accept that I will be judged unfairly, many times over.  I must accept that I am scared, but that I can overcome fear.  I can exceed the limitations I think I've placed on myself.   I will not be held down or back from my dreams.

Too long have I feared my inability to withstand rejection and judgments, but that's over with.  If I seem raunchy, crude, excessive, obnoxious, demented, brazen, wild, insensitive, etc.  It is time to face those judgements, and see if they hold true, can I improve, or shall I wallow in self-pity.

I am Stacy R. Haynes, and I'm a writer, who's no longer afraid of getting the ball rolling!  

No comments: