Friday, November 21, 2008

U is for Useful

I've read a few books and I want to share them with you because they are useful to writers.  The first is The Writer's Journey.  It gives the classic archetypes/structures of characters in stories.  My professor believes in this book, and wanted us to read it before class started.  It is a good book, and I love that it  makes sense to me. 

The next book is, Your Screenplay Sucks.  This book has been my friend as I wrote my screenplay.  It gave me a lot of good points and issues to look out for as I write.  For example, the word "is."  Try to find new ways to write a sentence without the word "is" in there.  For example, Caroline is walking towards her bed."  Try "Caroline collapses on bed."   Minimize your word usage.   Keep it simple.   Learn to cut words out.  You get the picture.  

2 comments:

Beatty said...

Just popping by to say hi! :o)

Unknown said...

Hey Beatty. Always happy for a visit from you. :-)