Saturday, April 02, 2011

The Smells From the Kitchen: Savory Goodness

Before I get into what smells so good, know that I earned this Klondike bar I'm about to scarf down. After a friend suggested making steak in the oven and my own love of steaks, I decided that I would make today's steaks in the oven.  This took a little prep work, but not too much.  It was really simple.

I started with seasoning the meat, then a honey Teriyaki marinade.  I added some fresh garlic to this and let it sit for a few hours.  When it was ready for cooking, I set the oven for 350.  In a baking dish (lightly coated in olive oil), I laid out the steaks. I cut a whole onion, two bell peppers, fresh garlic, and some mushrooms (drizzled in olive oil) to lay on top of the steaks.  They're in the oven now making my house smell so good.  

So this was for sure worth a try, as when I used the marinades on the stove, it tends to stick to the pan  They caramelize and burn too quickly.  The steaks taste good, but the pan is pure heck to clean.

Bad marinade adventures aside, I'm eating this Klondike bar and loving my Saturday.  It's the little things that make this day so good.  For sides I'm making some broccoli with cheddar.

2 comments:

Abby said...

Line pan with foil for an easier cleanup. You can soak the pan in some hot soapy water overnight and then clean easily tomorrow.

Unknown said...

Excellent suggestion. The pan is no-stick, so I think it won't be too difficult to clean.