Thursday, July 14, 2011

Banking on Things

Here's a lesson for all would-be people who use banks.  I spent $15.00 on gas when I had about $24.00 in my bank account.  I never forgot this.  Checked my account to make sure the money was out, proper.  I kept seeing no withdrawals for a couple of days.  Not even a "pending holds" notice.  Mind you, I KNEW I spent that money.  Left the account alone.

In my younger days I would have assumed the money was already transacted and spent what I saw.  Well if I had done that the overdraft fee would now be a part of my account and I would have to pay that on top of the expenses I did want, say like a hamburger.

So  my lesson is do your own accounting because not all banks are quick to alert you to the fact that you may overdraw your account, in fact it appears to benefit them to make it look like your account is full when its now.  In my opinion, when you reach a small percentage of money those "pending holds" notices somehow don't make it as quick to your account as when you have more money in them.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very smart. I used to do that shit all the time when I first got my bank account. Now I know better.

-Stephanie

Stephanie Insixiengmay said...

Very smart. I used to do that shit all the time when I first got my bank account. Now I know better.

-Stephanie