Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Southern Cooking Throwdown

I promised myself at the start of last week that I would make a southern meal.  I knew what I wanted too: Collards, ribs and mac & cheese.  Of course this is one of those things you can try and cook in a day, and you will be too sorely exhausted to eat.

This means the meal will take me three days and and shall be Sunday's dinner.  First and foremost, I started with the greens.  I was forewarned the pre-cut greens needed to be washed and the rough stems removed.  I did not know how many stems I found, but it felt endless.  I got them out.  This pot needed meats too.  So I used three: thick cut bacon, ham steaks and country spareribs.  It took some doing, but I got it all cooked last night.  it resides in my fridge as I get the ribs done.

The ribs were marinated last night after I rubbed light salt, cayenne pepper and Italian seasonings upon them.  Used a Teriyaki marinade as well. Once par boiled I put them in the oven with a BBQ sauce.  Mixed in the sauce some honey and a palmful of cayenne pepper.  I sweet flamer with a spicy kick in the background.

The macaroni and cheese is in the oven now.  Used three cheeses: Mozzarella, Colby and Cheddar.  Eventually its gonna be done and cheesy. Busy day.

No comments: