Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Short Story Part 2: Editing

Let me say thank you to some awesome people who gave me some feedback on this story.   Feedback from others is crucial at some point to allow us to see another angle to any idea or story.   

I did some light editing last night.  I looked for typos and formatting errors.  Also cut out a few pages.  I'm going to duplicate the file ("save as") and revise from there.    This is but a simple step.

This morning I had a few ideas for the intro paragraph, and that meant writing a few paragraphs out and leaving them for a later date.  Also some ideas for a couple of dialogue adjustments and scenes came to mind.  Jotted them down on a separate document to possibly add later.  

When I make another sweep at editing, I will definitely look at the characters' voices.  There are two distinct characters and four who speak in this story.  Each needs to feel like they have a specific voice.  I need to make sure I'm able to give them their due.  

By the way did I mention that writing is rewriting?  If I haven't, now you know.   

No comments: