Monday, January 24, 2011

The Short Story Part 3: Small Victories


Yesterday was a discombobulated mess, however, I did managed to get a few things done-story wise.  Not bad.  Don’t want to take these moments for granted.  They are small victories and I appreciate them.  Now I need to keep my momentum going.   

Another aspect of the story I wish to try and that’s some research.   For this I need to go look up a few things.

Did some free association with some scenes and dialogue.  Wondering if it fits or not.  Willing to take it further to get it into shape.   Not afraid at this moment.   It’s rather rewarding.   Also looking at the genre of the story.  I would classify it as a literary story, but I wonder where does this story fit in with what I want to read.  If there were other literary elements I did like, say, black humor, would I still like it?  

Trying a few new elements with the descriptions.  I hope this pays off, as I rather like what I read.   If need be, I will cut it loose.  Will save it for something else. 

Did go back and observe some tense structures.  I am switching between past and present.   I should try the story in the present.  Keep it that way. 

Wrote out some dialog exchanges between the characters.  Will have to cut it.  It’s too long.  I know this because the characters are essentially talking heads.  I did need to write it out in order to get to the heart of the story.  At least I lost my fear of cutting things.   

No comments: