Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Short Story Part 4: Theme

This morning I woke up to thinking about the theme of my short story.  I jotted down some notes this morning before I dozed back off into dreamland.  I'm glad I did.  When I have more time I will jot down more notes.

In regards to theme.  Themes are embodied in the desires of our protagonists, therefore I have several questions I need to ask myself:

  • What does my protagonist want?
  • What does my protagonist need?
  • What stands in the way of the protagonist getting what he wants/needs?
  • What happens if he doesn't get what he wants or needs (the stakes)?  

These questions will help me shape the theme, and know the character a little better.  Also every story needs some risks, or stakes.  If they don't have them, we won't care for the characters or outcome.

2 comments:

Katsidhe said...

I'm really happy that you are working so hard on this project, Ronin. Just remember to not overthink it though. You write from your heart and that will translate your story.

Unknown said...

Thanks Kat.

I did have a few concerns about over-thinking the story/characters.

I do want to make the theme stronger without sacrificing the narrative.

If anything the story remains intact, and several lines get tweaked and/or cut.

It's a fine line.

Thanks again.

--S.