Thursday, December 15, 2005

Deja Vu


Remember Delivering Justice, the children's book I got signed from a previous post? Its a real good children's book. Also, by an interesting twist of fate, the Levy Dept. store that's mentioned in this book, is the location where I work. Let me back up here.

It's 1932. Blacks are still segregated from rights, and there are no decent rights, or a crumb of respect given to blacks. The location is Savannah, GA. W.W. Law is a child. Levy Dept store was segragated as well. (More on how I eneded up working in the same building later). Law witnessed many injustices to people of color. It's some hateful actions. It leave a sore spot on me. I can totaly relate. It depicts Law from childhood to adult. Law used non-violent methods, like sit-ins and protests. Boycotts lead to some businesses on Broughton St. closing. Ironicly blacks were treated so rudely, but were the major buyers in several stores. I would reccomend this book because its a part of history that is often not told. I never heard of Law in public school.

Oh, Levy's eventually went out of business. SCAD bought the building, which is now the Jen Library, my place of work. Don 't know is that's ironic or a sign of the times. More like poetic justice.

4 comments:

Beatty said...

I think that Levy Department store was still there when I lived in Savannah from 1972 to 1983. I didn't know the history behind it though. That is a good book. Thanks for letting us know about it.

Unknown said...

You're very welcome. Glad I purchased it, and am giving a copy to my neice for Christmas.

Beatty said...

That's nice! :o)

Unknown said...

Thanks. :-)