Thursday, December 08, 2005

Sensei & Student


Not too many of my blog readers, if I have any readers, read comics, but I have to say this is one comic book I am very pleased to read. This is Birds of Prey, and its a trade paperback of the Sensei & Student storyline. Its one of the best damn reads in comics I have had in a long time.

This story is written by Gail Simone. Gail is also the moderator/host of You'll All Be Sorry, or YABS board at CBN, which is one of my fave places to visit. Its a great comic. The leads are female, smart and sexy. For comic readers, many female characters are oversexualized, and pure cheescake. Several female heroes don't have a clue to heroism. I thought I should praise this book because of what I have seen and read.

Birds of Prey is a monthly comic which follows the adventures of Black Canary, Oracle, Huntress. There are many other agents, all employed by Oracle who solve crimes. In this particular trade. Black Carnary's sensei passes. The sensei also trained Lady Shiva, one of the world's most lethal assasins.

One complaint, which isn't so much a complaint as a request. Lets get some sexy, smart people of color of in comics. By all means this is not to take away from Birds of Prey. I love this comic. I am ordering a copy for myself, and donating one of the trades to my library. SCAD has a sequential art program and there are many trades here, but not Birds. I'm gonna change that.

2 comments:

Bobby said...

I was never a big fan of Birds of Prey ... Gail Simone is an alright writer, though. I currently am enjoying her stint on Action Comics... you know, the book starring my boy, Superman!

Unknown said...

Hello Robert.

Gail is great in Action Comics. I read Superman off and on, but when Gail took over I decided to invest in it monthly. She's leaving Action Comics though. :-(