Friday, December 16, 2005

My Novel Progression I

Every month or twice a month I will write on the progress of my novel. This is to keep me in line. it may also be the spark of me writing and working through any frustrations. You may see more of this line of writing than I expected.

Let's talk genre. I have been toying with different genres for the novel. Sometimes its a period piece, sometimes its fantasy, sci-fi, contemporary, or even gothic. Several subjects have remained the same. People of color are prominent to the story. Father and son in the story will meet for the first time. It is an adventure. There are layers of drama. I want to introduce more scenery. I see churches with ancient stained glass, courtyards, extensive gardens, and castles. Also I hear music. Classical music. Violins, cellos, and several woodwinds. I have to think on this. What does it all mean? My brain is working it out.

I think I can call it a fable wrapped in a (gothic) drama. A lot of layers overlap, so I have a lot to work out. There characters are evolving. There is a level of danger in the story that is coming to the surface. This is not meant to be a "pretty book." It's meant to excite, thrill, scare, and in the end give you resolution to the problems.

Did research on genres, and on era's last night. Need to look up castles and churches. I need to see more architecture.

***UPDATE***

I began working on a full cast list and I fleshed out concept Information. The title is tentative, and will more than likeley change when I begin my revision of chapter one. Things are looking clearer to me.

No comments: