Saturday, June 23, 2012

Unemployment Sucks: Part 1

It doesn't matter how you got to the road of unemployment (unjust termination, just termination, layoff, company bankrupt), it simply sucks.  This is my story of unemployment, and the hopeful road to survival, recovery, and triumph over adversity. My hopes with these posts are to help/inspire those in the same situations to grow and be inspired.  Sometimes all we need is someone to support and encourage us for success. If you're struggling like I am, then you know giving up is not an option.

Being someone who was unjustly terminated, I can tell you that the main point for me right now is to attempt to restore my financial status and obtain gainful employment elsewhere. I can say, with experience, placing the word "termination" on any application is like the kiss of death. It suggests to some that you weren't a good employee, however any forced termination is undefined.  For example, you could have loss your job due to transportation failures, accidents, and unforseen actions beyond your control. I'm fortunate I receive unemployment benefits, which helps me out some.

Needless to say I think trying to lie on applications is a mistake. It does feel like chains on the shoulder. A burden one's forced to deal with.  At the same time, I know my strengths, track record, and skills I offer.  It's a lot of work to keep up keeping on.  Never giving up is the best motto at this stage.

2 comments:

Green Fingers said...

I feel like all you need to overcome this is one good reference from your old place of work. Legally, the only thing they can say is how long you worked there.

Unknown said...

They can say more, Eric. For the most part saying less is the best route for companies out of fear of lawsuits.

I've learned that putting the words "termination" on any application is really the kiss of death. No matter why you were terminated.