Saturday, August 19, 2006

Adventures in Cooking

Last night I marinated some steaks, which I am cooking now. I have tried several bottled marinades before, but none of them seem to be absorbed by the meat. They were more like a spicy steak sauce. I always did my marinades overnight, as to let the flavors have time to, well, marinate. Needless to say I wasted my money with the bottled, which is a disappointment. I was looking forward to the Cajun flavor.

I did find time to make my own marinade. It’s pretty simple, and the flavor is absorbed in the meat, even if I cook the steaks four hours later from the point I seasoned them. Here is what I do: I use pepper, garlic, Italian seasoning (marjoram, thyme, rosemary, sage, oregano, & basil), and olive oil. Somehow I get a steak that tastes like I seasoned it. I like my steaks well done, and they are tender, and not chewy or rough. P.S. I add salt right before I cook them. People told me that salt would dry out the meat if you placed it on during the marinade process.

Made some sautéed vegetables for the steak, and for the baked potatoes I will be making later on. I am so upset. I thought one bag of sliced portabellas was enough. I should have just got the six ‘shrooms in a package and sliced them myself. I had bell peppers (red, green, and yellow), onions (red [sweet], and yellow [more potent]), and the ‘shrooms. They are great toppings for my steaks, and my potatoes (potatoes can get sour cream, shredded cheese, butter, and bacon). Also, I add a little salt to the veggies while sautéing them (draws the moisture out), and a little cayenne pepper to give the veggies a kung-fu kick. Not too much pepper, I want to enjoy the meal without pain. I also want to stress that I don’t like to cook the veggies too long. I hate when they lose their crunch.

To add another vegetable to the plate as a side dish, I prefer broccoli. I do love a green vegetable as the side as opposed to corn. I also like broccoli better than string beans or peas. Atypically I will either use cheese to top it, or butter for flavoring. I don’t add much seasoning. Maybe a little salt or pepper. I usually like to taste the cheese or butter flavor. I may start adding the broccoli to the potatoes.

Sometimes I can eat the potato minus the steak, and have done so many times before. Also, I have substituted imitation bacon bits for the real thing several times. I love the bacon flavor.

As far as the drink of choice, the southerner in me prefers sweat tea with lemon, and crushed ice. Crush ice rocks, and lemon sets the tea taste off perfectly. Steak nights are usually my best nights as I can savor the flavors of the food, and be filled. I never go hungry on steak night.

No comments: