Saturday, August 19, 2006

Long Term Thinking and Resisting Temptation

Today I resisted the urge to spend, and I am very proud of myself for this. I needed to replace my black in cartridge for my printer. I said I would go to Best Buy today and purchase it. No big deal, eh? Well I saw Resident Evil 4 for the Game Cube for $19.99. Then I saw some blank (writable) DVD’s for $19.99. Two movies I have been pinning for were on display as well. I wanted them all. I did rationalize in my head that it wouldn’t cost too much. Maybe one of the things I wanted extra could follow me to the cashier’s counter. The ink cartridge was $19.99 itself. I walked back to the Resident Evil 4 and tempted myself so bad. I picked it up, and read the back of the case. I so wanted that game.

There is a new game I want, but it comes out next month. I have been waiting for time for that game to be released. I made myself put RE4 down, and promised myself if I curb my spending, next month will be better for purchasing, which is true. Also I wanted to make some other purchases. The New Writer's Market comes out next month, and what about the clothes I wanted to buy? Temptation subsided. I can't argue with my logic, since I hadn’t paid my cable or electric bill for the month yet, and I needed that handled before I decided I was entitled to an impulse shopping moment.

When I got home I paid my bills. There was no sense in waiting. Its not like I don’t use cable and electricity religiously. Ironically, I turned the TV of and began cleaning up my place. There is nothing like a clean kitchen or bathroom. I'm getting a work out here. I did some vacuuming (I so wanted to get that hallway. I need to pull out the extensions to get the corners. How does dust get there? i walk in the center of the hall?

Now I don’t have to worry about my printer losing ink at a critical moment. Ever had that feeling the latest page you print was your last? All I can tell you is I liken the dread to the last bite of chocolate cake, the last spoonful of ice cream in your cup, or the last twenty in my wallet you know you’re about to use. You have a good wait before you get back to another piece, spoonful, or payday.

If I can, I will have a treat. It should be under $5.00; maybe some ice cream, or a latte, as I will be cutting those out for a while, again.

I hadn’t done much writing yet. I need to write more of my projects. I so need a list of everything. I will add it to my PDA, so I can get more mileage out of using it. I get mileage out of the calendar mode, which I add stuff to all the time.

No comments: