Monday, March 12, 2007

So Wrong

So Wrong

How could I be… so wrong?
One look at you, and I knew all that was written.
The words to your songs and your stories
Were written upon first glance.
I closed the book, put away the records, and walked on by,
Thinking I knew it all

Took every measurement with merciless eyes
Hands so unclean detailed every stoke with my pencil.
Rendered you complete in my own mind’s eye.
Felt you were complete body and soul.

Framed you ever so carefully
Tacked you to the wall, in the corner near the window.
I thought it was flattering.

The session was over.
How was I to know, that the song in your heart,
Was not the bell I did ring?
How did I not see the dimensions your represented
Not with your pride, but with your strength?

Now that I have failed again…
I will try once more to see and hear without prejudices.

© Stacy R. Haynes

No comments: