Thursday, February 22, 2007

My Writing XI

I am knee deep in correcting spelling errors in my scripts. I decided to take a moment to check over the things I need t in order to submit my project to a perspective publisher. I have read two companies' submission guidelines. While very different in many ways both companies are very similar in what they want. I need to maintain a high level of professionalism in my submissions. That, in part is what has gotten me into graduate school. So, I need to look like a professional, and be a professional writer. This is not an obstacle, by the way.

I am more than capable of good writing. I am more than capable of putting together a professional presentation. I am so excited and nervous about submitting this project. Excited because I love the project I created. Its something I stand behind 100%. To see my project in print would make this a dream come true for me. I truly believe submitting this material is a stepping stone for me as a professional writer. I am very nervous because submitting is a competition. I am competing with other hungry writers who want the editors time and consideration. I am not even accounting for the established creators who do have the time and consideration of the editors.

Writing a story to completion has been a very satisfying challenge. I am not stopping there. I want to try two new projects. I have a sci-fi story that I want to tell, and I want to write something more in the humor vein. When the time is right (they're completed), I will submit them for publications well.

I do have two short stories I am working on. I hope to have them published as well. I have a great artist for the projects, so I feel I'm on the right track. My friends and I agree, 2007 is our year to make things happen. I don't have to feel it. I know this. We will succeed.

Checklist for submitting my project
  • Cover Letter
  • Release Form
  • Proposal
  • Cast List
  • Synopsis for all six chapters
  • First eight pages of script
  • Completed Script Ready to show at a moment's notice.

No comments: