Monday, February 12, 2007

My Writing VI

Revising the tail end of chapter three. My good friend Tiara, whom I cannot thank enough, showed my how to adjust the formatting in Word. Talk about your moments of relief. What was a struggle of line-by-line editing has been minimized by paragraphs. That made finishing up chapter three a lot easier to work on.

Here is something I did not consider while writing. I have a lot of aggressive women in this mini-series.

Another friend suggested to me to be aware of this, and there is a danger of having a lot of bitchy female characters in the story. I’m thinking aggressive females are not bad in a story. They may come off as “bitchy,” but that is the perception versus the reality. Time and reader/editor reaction will tell. Let me say that my friend trusts me to make a good story.

I do think, if I wrote male characters this way, they would be considered bold and assertive. Alpha males. I’ve put women in charge of certain operations in the story. They make the hard decisions, and they are competent, skilled, and don’t take no bull. I love those qualities in them. I trust in my vision of the characters.

I think there is something dynamic in an aggressive woman. She’s not necessarily a bitchy woman. On the surface it can look like this, but there is anger, and there is pain, and that’s real. Also, sometimes being in charge means not doing what liked. People do act in accordance to anger and pain. In the end, I do want the characters to be more than know as bitchy characters.

No comments: