Sunday, October 21, 2007

Stacy’s Goth Experience II: The Making of Things Dark, Yet Bright.

I have a friend, who says she’s Goth. I told her, she couldn’t be, because she always wears bright clothes, and has an upbeat personality. She assures me she is. So I began to take a look at Goth, and wondered what was attractive about it. I also wondered how I fit into this. We’re talking about me; my clothes are so colorful and patterned.

Someone suggested to me that Goth is not about the outward appearance entirely. There are things that some Goth’s are attracted to. For example, Goth’s have fascination with Romantic Literature. The works of Anne Rice, Neil Gaiman, and Edgar Allen Poe may appeal to them. The Victorian or Edwardian era have a hold. There is a fascination with things from these eras and beyond.

Goth is much more than clothes or look. It has a feel, a counterculture, if you will. Aspects of the culture are innately within me, yet this is merely a facet of who I am.

Of course, it clashes so strongly with my outer world. On the surface, I am chipper, polite, and kind to the point of being a pest. I am thinking of embracing my inner Goth, not for destruction, but rather to find the balance between, who I am, and how I am perceived. I don’t mind the darker aspects, so long as they are balanced by my innate benevolence.

No comments: