Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Untitled III

For those not in the know, I lost my jump drive two weeks ago. I was getting off work. As usual, I place it around my neck for safekeeping. When I got to my car, I took it off, along with my ID badge, and placed it in the passenger seat. Halfway down the road, I realize I don’t know where the jump drive is.

I compulsively check the passenger seat, and its not there. At a red light, I short of emptied my book bag of all its contents. Still there was no jump drive. I decided I left it at work, and the best thing to do is come to work early and retrieve it. Problem solved, right?

I was so wrong. I come to work, and there is no jump drive. I panicked. All my good writing was on that drive. OMG I must have dropped it outside the building. I was late for class too. Damn it. I scoured our lost and found; I checked my desk, and the floor beneath it. I was so sure the jump drive met with some greedy student, exploiting my writings. What could I do but accept that IU lost my drive and leave it at that.

Well, for the past two weeks, I have emailed myself any file that I wrote or needed to open on a different computer (hello Screenwriter program). Not only is this inconvenient, it’s downright annoying. How for two weeks I regretted losing my jump drive.

Well, I was contemplating buying a new one. Fast forward to today. I stop at Wendy’s to buy a salad and some fries. Ate the fries in the car, before I got out and went to work, I dropped a fry as I was trying to wave at someone, and it fell between the seat. I went to remove it, and what I see, but the cord for my jump drive.

I cannot explain to you how elated and stupid I felt. I was more elated than stupid, so I am ok.

2 comments:

the wicked witch of the east said...

stacy, meet murphy... ;)

Unknown said...

I'm convinced its a gremlin. :-)