Wednesday, December 05, 2007

If I Told You That…

…Is a song by Whitney Houston. It’s from her CD, My Love is Your Love. This is a very good CD with a very strong R&B music selection, and power ballads (signature Whitney).

I mention this song because there is an alternate version of the song, which was made into a duet with George Michael. This was such an error of judgment on someone’s part. First and foremost, I like both artists, but not together. Whitney’s voice on this song is dynamic. Her range is amazing. She’s working those notes. She makes singing seem effortlessly.

George’s voice, next to hers, is extremely flat. He can’t complement her style or range. For the song to blend well she would have to restrain her vocals, and hold back a lot to make it cohesive. I can’t hear her signing like that, not when she can belt like she does. While you hear her range, you get nothing from George. It’s like pairing the Flash against a turtle. She dusted him. For me it makes the song distracting, and uneven. Definitely it irritated my ears.

In this case, her and his love was not my love. They were mean to me. I can say, since I also saw the video, at the very least, George knows how to dance, which Whitney has yet to master. It is a dance track. What’s the holdup Whit?

No comments: