Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Trying to Skate Uphill

What I have learned today about myself and about writing, is to not spend a great deal of time trying to describe the story, mini-series, novel, etc. (what it's about), but to write it out and see what happens. I have a lot of ideas I let fall to the wayside because I don't let my ideas flow. I try to restrict them, and that feels wrong.

If I learned anything from my screen writing class (and I knew form my many English classes), it is that I must throw away all preconceived notions. I must surrender to the pen, the keyboard. I must hear and feel what I write. I must listen to the characters speak (and they do), and I must let them set the paste and be who they truly are. It is truly difficult to let go of this kind of control. To understand the control, you must feel know what the control is.

For example, took extensive notes and ideas for my fantasy novel. The moment the novel strayed, I became upset, and was unwilling to finish it. I could not make the characters do as I wanted. They did not resemble the characters I so preciously took notes on. I refused progress because I could not have my way. Yes, it was all or nothing emo response to my own writing, and I admit I did not recognize the flaw until later down the line, with several alternate versions of chapter one, and with me now organizing my thoughts.

No comments: