Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Sketching: The First Steps

So I have decided to draw again. I picked a theme and work at on in the images. I want to do at least twenty drawings in pastel, because, that's what I need to do. Mind you, sometimes one drawing can take days, so I am in for a long trip. This is fine by me, as I love a challenge. I do want to thank Aggie, Shisho, and Michale Tyzack for inspiring me to get my art on. Its one of those chain of events things.

See, Michael passed away, and he was the head of the studio art dept when I was an undergrad. This made me look at my art more. Shisho asked about my art. Aggie saw my artwork and asked me why don't I do more art, or at least get into a gallery.

For those not in the know, my artistic spirit was crushed when I applied to 5-6 grad schools and I was rejected by all of them, even SCAD, where I am now a graduate student (contemporary writing-MFA).

Well, I made some sketches, and I have a theme, and I am going to work it. Much like writing too, I need some references. Some details for images need to be worked out. I may post some of the sketches after I do a more solid composition. Right now they are so abstract and so rough, its best to let them stay away from sight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yippie! I helped you somehow!

*Does happy dance.*

Reading your blog also makes me want to write more and be more creative. I guess it's good to have friends that are into different things, so that we can help each other along the way. And thanks for the writing advice the other day. I'm taking it to heart.

Can't wait to see the art!

*Does another happy dance with a freestyle cabbage patch thrown in.*

Unknown said...

Thanks Shisho. :-)

I am very happy you are inspired by my blog. I'm also glad the writing advice heled you. I feel great now.

Best way to start the day.

*does own happy dance*