Monday, January 01, 2007

Me, Darkened


This picture is rather blurry, and I assume there is not enough light. When I saw it, I was like, what the heck? Did Time magazine get ahold of my picture and darken my skin? Do I look like a classic American/crook now? Don't nobody answer that. I get enough old while ladies who slam their car door shut thinking I'm going to steal from them as I get into my own car. Really.

I can laugh at them now, but when you think about it, darkening a man of color's skin tone on the cover or a magazine, who is accused of murdering his ex-wife and her friend, tells me that underlying racism finds it way to the surface. Just as a woman can think I want to rob her because that's all black men do to poor old white women, right? Its so far from the truth it hurts. I laugh, but it hurts. How insulting.

On a great note, I can see the family resemblance to my father in this picture. In fact, without glasses, I look more like my brothers. Glasses make me look more like my dad.

No comments: